Sashiko Mending with Jessica Marquez
gather here Class
Join Jessica Marquez, author of Make + Mend in this 3 hour sashiko mending workshop. Favorite jeans have hole? Stained your go-to jacket? Come learn artful and practical skills to mend, patch and repair damaged clothing and textiles inspired by time honored Japanese Sashiko techniques. Students will learn about the history of sashiko, several techniques for patching, tools and materials needed, tips and tricks for preparing and stitching projects, and how to draw and stitch patterned sashiko. Please bring an article of clothing you’d like to repair or embellish. Because each mend will be different students will receive feedback on their personal mending projects and guidance throughout the process. If you don't have an garment to bring, that's alright you can practice the techniques on provided fabric swatches.
Limited to 12 students (16 yrs of age or older); 50% enrollment required for class to meet. If a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund.
- Level: adventurous beginner, you feel good holding a needle in your hand.
- We provide: Jessica Marquez! As well as a basic supplies and tools like scissors, needle threaders, chalk pencils, water-soluble markers, and other things to make mending a bit easier.
- You bring: yourself, a copy of Jessica’s book (available in the store!), sashiko thread and needles (available in the store) an article of clothing you would like to mend, and your enthusiasm. And if you use reading glasses, you should totally bring those.
- Class length: approximately 3 hours
- Please note: There are NO store credits given at any time for classes with special guest instructors and artists. Your seat may be transferred to a friend if you cannot attend.
- You'll receive a workshop invitation link the day of the workshop.
- You'll receive a link to our online health and wellness check. You must be symptom free to enter the store and attend in person.