Mauna Hat - two sessions
gather here Class
Longtime fans of Leila Raven's designs, we were thrilled when the MANA WĀHINE collection, six knitwear designs inspired by Aotearoa and Hawai’i, the inaugural series from the AROHA | ALOHA project highlighting the works of modern indigenous makers launched in January 2021. The first pattern from Leila was the Mauna: Mountain hat which is worked from brim to crown. Beginning with a ribbed brim and Latvian braid, followed by stranded color work. We will meet twice - first to learn the Latvian braid (please begin your ribbed brim prior to class) and hopefully start the colorwork so you can practice between session.
All photos by Leila Raven.Limited to 4 students (16 yrs of age or older); 2 students required for class to meet. If a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund.
- Level: adventurous beginner/intermediate - you've knit a scarf and a basic hat. You know your knits from your purls and can knit in the round.
- We provide: the expertise and pom-pom makers (should you want to finish your hat with a pompom)!
- You bring: Yourself, a copy of the pattern available on Ravelry and directly from the collection, sport weight yarn (we recommend Kelbourne Woolens Andorra or Echoview Fair Isle Merino), 16” circular needles in US2, 3, AND 4, and stitch markers.
- 2 1/2 hours each session for a total of 5 hours. You should knit between sessions!
Sessions run on Thursdays, October 14 & 21.
- Need to pickup supplies prior to the class session.
- Receive a Zoom invitation link the morning of the workshop.