Ellsworth Top - three session
The Ellsworth Top from Merchant and Mills is an intermediate workshop featuring an oversized, boxy shirt with a dropped back hem and half placket. Swingy and absurdly comfortable. You'll learn how to set a collar, create a button placket, and sleeve cuffs. Plus buttons and buttonholes.
The drop shoulder (bat-wing sleeve) means you won't have to tackle setting a sleeve for this project.
We recommend tracing your pattern onto Swedish Tracing Paper prior to class.
If you need someone to take your measurements accurately please ask a craft associate when you come in for your supplies. This may also be the perfect project to create a wearable muslin - we recommend making your wearable muslin out of a similar weight fabric that you intend on using for your final version.
Limited to 4 students (16 yrs of age or older); 2 students are required for class to meet. If a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund.
- Level: Intermediate. This is 100% NOT your first garment. You’ve made other clothes in the past - not necessarily with a buttonfront or a collar but clothes none the less.
- We provide: the studio space, machines, super cool automatic button hole, tools and expertise.
- You bring: Fabric you love! Recommended fabrics are: 3-6oz linen, cotton poplin, cotton lawn, cotton double gauze, chambray, tencel, and hemp/cototn blends. Your total yardage is dependent on your size and style (want it a little longer or maybe cropped?), 1 yard of lightweight fusible interfacing for the plackets and collar, coordinating thread, 6 1/2-3/4" buttons, and a copy of the pattern (available online & in the store).
- Class length: 2 1/2 hours each session for a total of 7 1/2 hours.
Class meets Thursdays, January 6, 13, and 20 at 5:30pm.
- Need to pickup supplies prior to the class session.
- Receive a Zoom invitation link the morning of the workshop.