Costermonger Bag Pattern
The Costermonger is the essential market tote designed as a backpack. Fill it up with wholesome goodies, leaving your hands free to tickle your dog. This is a simple satisfying sew that uses little fabric so ideal for using up some of your stash or making as a present.
Skill Level: Beginner
Fabric Requirements: (this is an unlined bag)
- < 98cm [38"] wide: 0.95M [1yd]
- 100cm [39"] or wider: 0.70M [3/4yd]
Materials and hardware:
- 8 x 9mm rivets or chicago screws
- 4 x 25mm [1″] metal sliders
- 2 x 25mm [1″] Leather Strap 89cm [35"] long (if you are buying the Merchant & Mills leather straps they come about 145cm [57"] long so you will need two of these)
- Matching thread
45cm L x 40cm W
We recommend the split cowhide leather straps as they move the smoothest through the sliders. But if you would prefer to use webbing instead of leather you would simply tuck it under the facing and top stitch it on the right side.
When inserting the rivets we recommend using a very solid surface like a cement floor so there is no movement. You will just need a hammer to set the rivets, but you will need something to make a hole in your leather, we recommend a revolving hole punch.
More Merchant & Mills : Fabrics - Patterns - Notions
More Sewing Patterns