Sashiko Denim with Jessica Marquez
gather here Class
Learn to personalize your clothes with mesmerizing sashiko patterns in this class taught by Jessica Marquez, author of Make + Mend. Students will learn how to transfer patterns directly onto their garment, how to adjust the scale of the pattern to make it fit the dimensions of their piece, best tools and materials for this application, and how to stitch sashiko. Tips and tricks will be shared, like how to create a flawless finish inside your garment and line the garment with a base fabric patch. Please bring an article of clothing you’d like to embellish. While these techniques can be applied to all kinds of garments and textiles, heavy weight jackets (denim, twill, cotton, linen), button-up shirt, or denim jeans are recommended. Feel free to bring a few options.
Limited to 12 students (16 yrs of age or older); 50% enrollment required for class to meet. If a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund.
- Level: adventurous beginner, you feel good holding a needle in your hand.
- We provide: Jessica Marquez! As well as a basic supplies and tools like scissors, needle threaders, chalk pencils, water-soluble markers, and other things to make mending a bit easier.
- You bring: yourself, a copy of Jessica’s book (available in the store!), an article of clothing you would like to embellish, and your enthusiasm. And if you use reading glasses, you should totally bring those.
- Class length: approximately 3 hours
- Please note: There are NO store credits given at any time for classes with special guest instructors and artists. Your seat may be transferred to a friend if you cannot attend.