McElroy European Laundered Linen
This linen is produced in small batches in Eastern Europe where there is a strong heritage of spinning and weaving linen fabric. A wide stripe of pale lilac and pollen yellow.
McElroy can be used for many patterns, ideally dresses, tops, loose fitting trousers and even slouchy jackets.
- 100% Linen
- Approximate width: 58" (148cm)
- 170gsm or 5oz.
- Stripe width: 2cm, repeat: 4cm.
- Stripes run in parallel with the selvedges.
- Wash at 30 degrees with a non-bio detergent. Do not tumble. Shake out and dry flat. Linen will always seize up after washing but as soon as you start to use/wear it the fibers relax again.
- If you are using this linen for curtains we recommend using a lining to prevent fading.
- Never dry linen in direct sunlight as the color can bleach and fade.
- Made using AZO-free dyes.
Eco Credentials: Flax is a strong plant best grown in northern Europe. It needs little or no fertilizers and due to the local climate, little extra water. It doesn’t really require many pesticides either as it can grow in poor quality soil. The Advisory Commission Report to the European Parliament stated that flax cultivation has positive effects on eco-system diversity as it allows for an “environmental pause”. One hectare of flax can retain 3.7 tons of CO2. Every part of the plant is used, what isn’t used to produce linen can be used to make linseed oil, paper, cattle feed or even soap.
Linen is therefore almost naturally organic. It is completely biodegradable, recyclable and due to its natural absorbency, it requires less dye than cotton. Linen therefore scores high on the ecological chart.
More Merchant & Mills : Fabrics - Patterns - Notions - Scissors + Snips
More Linen Fabrics - more New Fabrics - more Sustainable Fabrics